<< back to employment
Colmek is looking for a mechanical engineer to work on complex mechanical designs for both military and commercial applications. This position is located at the Colmeks home office in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Designs, manages fabrication of, and documents mechanical parts, assemblies, and mechanisms in a quick and efficient manner. Perform detailed thermal, vibrational and structural analysis of mechanical designs.
- Performs engineering layout of detail parts and assemblies for a given project and ensures fit and function for all of the parts and assemblies.
- Ensures that designs meet or exceed the specifications given for the project.
- Interacts with customer to support project design reviews and installation activities at the customers site.
- Prepares documents for vendor specification, customer acceptance and test procedures.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with schedule and budget for the design effort.
- Reviews designs for cost effectiveness.
- Documents all parts and assemblies.
- Obtains prototype parts and oversees assembly and testing of the design to verify the design and associated documentation are accurate and meet specifications.
- Interfaces with other staff engineers to convey all necessary information concerning the design.
- Can thoroughly describe and justify designs to internal staff engineers through peer reviews.
- Prepares and/or evaluates all Engineering Change Requests relative to impact on the design and recommends approval, modification, or disapproval of the Request to the project engineer.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Masters Degree preferred with 3-5 years industry experience. Expertise and proficient in the use of SolidWorks, ProE, and AutoCAD. Experience in the following areas preferred: tolerance budgeting, machining and metal forming practices, shock and vibration analysis, finite element analysis (FEA), and thermal management. Must have personal computer skills: word processing, spread sheet, presentation graphics, etc.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This role will be responsible for the design, development and review of electronic, mechanical or electro-mechanical products, components or systems requiring the utilization of mechanical, electronic, electrical or physics principles and their application to specific assignments. Role may participate in and may be responsible for requirements analysis, preliminary design, and detail design.
Tasks may include circuitry or mechanism development, theoretical calculations, prototyping, packaging, determining reliability quality levels and/or performance, preparation of specifications, material and electronic tests, process studies, and research investigations as required. Other job duties include:
- Performs work which involves conventional engineering practices but includes a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials and difficult coordination requirements.
- May perform as a company-wide expert in a specific engineering discipline and is expected to solve complex technical problems in that discipline over many projects. Represents the technical specialty in customer meetings, telephone contacts and contract negotiations.
- May generate schedules, personnel requirements and maintain the engineering budget for a large portion of a project or for an entire project with moderate technical risks. These tasks may include Cost Account Management and supervision of a team of engineers in the development process.
- May be a process owner, responsible for development and maintenance of an engineering process including technology guidance, product line or re-use guidance, and maintenance of historical data.
- Supervises and/or prepares, presents and reviews formal reports such as; test plans, test reports and proposals, including technical discussions and preparation of cost data.
- May review technical status on projects and recommend corrective actions.
- May be responsible for subcontractor selection and progress monitoring.
- Plans for, participates in and/or leads hardware integration and/or HSI for an entire project with moderate risk or a portion of integration for high risk programs.
- May supervise and/or conduct internal research and development projects.
- May supervise installation, integration, and testing of moderate risk systems at customer sites.
- May train and/or mentor less skilled personnel.
- May work closely with manufacturing to assure build ability to attain cost goals.
- Practices and provides leadership in the application of Total Quality principles and concepts.
Candidate for this role will have system and detail knowledge of Engineering, Physics, and Math principles and practices appropriate to application area. Must have computer aided engineering experience, personal computer skills. (e.g., word processing, spread sheet, presentation graphics), understand use of test equipment, effective written and oral communication skills, and well developed leadership and training skills.
Must be able to demonstrate requirements analysis, preliminary design and detail design skills. Role requires ability to apply logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems, ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism. (e.g., formulas, scientific equations, graphs), effective ability to organize and prioritize program tasks, ability to manage requirements through the life cycle of the product, ability to integrate multiple disciplines and groups with one's own discipline, and ability to evaluate progress and results on project(s) and recommend changes to process.
Role typically requires a minimum of nine years of engineering experience with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Physics, or equivalent education. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at will' employment relationship. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to think independently. May be required to drive company vehicles so must have, and maintain, a valid driver's license and provide a current copy of driving record. Must be a U.S. citizen and must be able to obtain unescorted access to Hill AFB.
If youre ready to expand your skills and work in a fun dynamic environment please
submit your resume