Coda Octopus Colmek (Colmek) is an established Utah based small agile engineering firm in business for over 30 years. We blend expertise in software, firmware, hardware, and mechanical engineering to create unique and ruggedized solutions for critical military and commercial customers. Through the development of embedded systems, using advanced signal processing, and utilizing the most advanced hardware, we are dedicated to comprehensive engineering projects, from concept and design, through production, and support.
Colmek has a requirement for a high achieving electronic assembly supervisor. Individual will be responsible for the development and performance of all assembly employees. They will direct and coach the production team toward success and provide growth in line with company deadlines and expectations. They will also perform a variety of electronic assembly operations.
Candidate must be capable of passing IPC-A-610 or J-STD-001 Class 3 Certified Application Specialist course and inspection against these standards. A current J-STD-001 Class 3 or IPC-610 Class 3 certification is a plus.
PCB Assembly duties include prepping CCAs, soldering hand-placed SMT and thru-hole parts, touch-up of CCAs (including jumpers), and reworking (R&R) CCAs and other assemblies. The candidate will perform all aspects of prototype and production assembly.
Electro-Mechanical Assembly duties include prepping and integrating chassis and related electro-mechanical assemblies, crimping, stripping, cable routing, staking, splicing, marking, labeling, and soldering as well as performing all aspects of prototype and production assembly.
Cable Assembly duties include routes and ties wires to form wire harnesses used in electrical and electronic equipment or systems. Ability to read instructions, such as work orders, diagrams, and wire lists to determine materials needed and sequence of assembly. Select wires of specified color, marking, or length, and loops wires between guide pegs on harness board, following color-coded lines or sequential numbers on board or diagram. Wrap and tie wires together at designated points to form harness, manually or using tie-wrap gun. The candidate may attach ends of wires to components, plugs, or terminal strip, using soldering iron or crimping device. They may insert cable in plastic tubing or inject plastic sealant around terminals to protect cable from dust and moisture, mark completed harness, and may test wiring continuity, using continuity tester.
Essential job functions of this role:
- Electrical-Mechanical, PCB and Cable Assembly
- Assign kits to assemblers based on skill level.
- Audit partial and complete kits for shortages.
- Pull material from inventory to replace damaged or lost parts for WIP kits.
- Ensure that production floor is organized and free of FOD.
- Ensure that all production paperwork is completed.
- Meets Department results by communicating job expectations; monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Develops staff by orienting, and training employees; developing personal growth opportunities.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; monitoring personnel and resources; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Completes production plans by assigning personnel; monitoring results; establishing priorities and resolving issues.
- Maintains safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personnel on the use of all equipment, and resources; maintaining compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Resolves personnel problems by analyzing data; investigating issues; identifying solutions; recommending action.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Interfaces with QA and engineering to produce desired results.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED and at least 5 years of related experience.
Key supervisor roles and responsibilities:
- Ensure that time cards are completed on time.
- Instrumental in providing employee evaluations.
- Educate assembly staff on Colmek’s rules and regulations as well as enforce policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all assembly equipment and tools are functioning properly and request repairs as necessary.
- Maintain and control red line drawing packages.
- Proven experience as production supervisor or similar role.
- Experience in using various electro-mechanical / soldering tools.
- Intermediate skills in MS Office.
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated with results driven approach.
- Problem solving skills.
- High school diploma; Degree in a technical field will be an advantage.