Configuration Management /Technical Writer
Configuration/Data Management (CM/DM) -Technical writer: performs configuration management and data management functions to establish consistency of product performance, functional, and physical attributes with its requirements, design, and operational information as well as manage data requirements of contracts and subcontracts. The CM/DM maintains the integrity of system documentation, design artifacts, baselines, and associated configuration information using configuration processes and controls. This role provides additional as-required support to the design and program management teams as a subject matter expert for analyses, consultations, special topic discussions, tools support, DevOps support, and other tasking as required.
- Designs and establishes configuration management and data management documentation and processes.
- Analyzes proposed product design changes to determine the effect on the overall system. Provides technical feedback to the design team.
- Authorizes the release of drawings and changes specified by Program or Engineering Management.
- Provides advice and guidance on methods, procedures and requirements to individuals responsible for the creation of documentation.
- Recommends and provides inputs on methods for continuous improvement.
- Acts as liaison between management and other functional groups to resolve issues regarding configuration analysis documentation.
- Performs audits to verify compliance with contract requirements.
- Uses configuration management tools for issue tracking and version control.
- Supports program audits including functional and physical configuration audits.
- Prepares Configuration Management cost plans for task orders and proposals.
- Manages program Contract Data Requirements Lists (CDRL) / Subcontract Data Requirements Lists (SDRL)
- Prepares and transmits data items and letters of transmittal in accordance with contract requirements.
- Experience in CM tools, databases and processes; experience using version control tools
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Excellent written, oral, and team communication skills.
- Experience working successfully both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience utilizing databases to manage technical and engineering data.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Experience in an engineering support role such as configuration manager (CM), quality assurance, design drafter, technical writer, program operations analyst, systems support engineer, integration and test engineer, specialty engineer, or similar.
- Knowledge of EIA-649C, MIL-STD-973 and other relevant Configuration Management standards.
- One or more relevant Configuration Management certification(s) such as CMPIC or NDIA.
- Experience reading and interpreting Statements of Work, Drawings, Schematics, and Parts Lists.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, including ability to perform custom queries in Microsoft Access.
- Expert time management ability and sense of urgency in meeting critical deadlines.
- Willingness to work overtime and/or outside of normal business hours as needed to meet deadlines and business requirements.
- Experience with MRP (material requirements planning) and/or ERP (enterprise resource planning) systems.
Colmek designs and manufactures rugged electronics operating many of the world’s most important machines and systems. It is part of the Coda Octopus group of companies and is based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Colmek currently serves the world’s leading organizations in defense, aerospace, naval, and civilian industries.